Monday, March 28, 2011

Four months, two seasons, one suitcase.

One of my main sources of stress when preparing for this course was agonizing over what to pack.  Previously, I have over packed for every trip I’ve ever gone on regardless of whether it lasted a long weekend or an entire month.  Since I will be spending four months in Europe I was determined to keep my luggage to a manageable size.  Seeing as I would be traveling around on my own I decided to restrict myself to one suitcase and my backpack.  

Both pieces are rather large but I justify their size with the argument that I am packing for four months in Europe and two months in the states.  

I spent several weeks creating and revising my packing list.  Once I finished my final exams I started by laying out the items I had assigned to my suitcase.  

.  
Due to airline weight restrictions I decided to pack the lightweight items in my checked baggage and stash all the heavier gear in my backpack. I ended up regretting this decision when I arrived at Heathrow and my luggage did not.  I spent nearly the first full week without any clothing and hardly any personal care products.  Luckily my cousin Thelma was kind enough to load me extra clothes and anything else I needed.  
In my backpack I stashed all of my important documentation, electronics and other odds and ends. 

The end product is two well packed pieces of luggage that will be joining me for my time in Europe.  It's too early into the trip to tell whether or not I've done a decent job of packing.  There are some items that were left behind.  For example I wasn't able to pack an outfit for my friend's wedding in August.  I guess i'll just have to buy a dress in Europe, how unfortunate ;)  
  

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the blog so far! Can't wait for pics of London to magically appear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenny - we are so excited for you - looking forward to hearing from you! Stay safe!

    Love,

    Aunt Linda, Uncle Pete, Ben & Andrew

    ReplyDelete